Blood Bank Specialist
Portland, OR 97239
Schedule: 11 pm to 7: 30 am, rotating weekends
Pay: $46.07/ Per hr
MT(ASCP) or MLT(ASCP) eligible or equivalent
Experience within a Transfusion Service
The incumbent will be a qualified Medical Laboratory Scientist with generalist experience or equivalent capable of performing laboratory testing and associated activities needed to support the technical services provided by the Core Lab.
Testing is performed in: Transfusion Service, Chemistry, Hematology, Coagulation, Body Fluids and limited Microbiology. Specimen processing, test performance, and result reporting is performed independently after appropriate training. Supervisor or director review of results is required in situations dictated by policy or procedures.
The person filling this position will be of professional demeanor and perform their duties with behaviors which will best serve the clients of the department.
1. Performs testing in all sections of the Core Laboratory with accuracy, speed, and efficiency, using the ProView, DX, Stago, ABL, Access, Advanced and LH instrumentation. Follows written procedures and policies.
2. Prepares samples for testing. Determines acceptability of specimens and results. Repeats analysis as necessary to insure accuracy. Reports test results via computer and telephone.
3. Performs all computer functions using Beaker, HCLL and EPIC software.
4. Answers telephone requests for laboratory information.
5. Calibrates, maintains and troubleshoots laboratory instruments and procedures.
6. Trains new employees, students and residents.
7. Performs and evaluates quality control data to determine functionality of instruments and procedures.
8. Other Duties
• Assists with miscellaneous technical administrative functions to support daily laboratory activities.
a. Performs inventory of reagents and supplies.
b. Reviews critical, summary and outstanding lists.
c. Performs projects assigned by lead worker, technical coordinator or lab manager.
• Completes competency training, annual review of policy and procedure manuals, and safety review. Attends and participates in staff meetings and training sessions.
• Performs requirements for Staff Members as outlined and understands and complies with the Code of Conduct, and departmental policies and procedures, and other applicable procedures, rules and regulations.
• Communicates and works effectively as part of a team, and interacts with a variety of clients including doctors, nurses, laboratory staff and patients, maintaining a customer service focus at all times.
• Carries out job responsibilities ethically, professionally, and with personal integrity, and functions as part of the team exhibiting excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills.
• Attends and participates in staff meetings and training sessions.
Who is Abbott & Associates Professional Placement?
We are a family-owned and operated staffing agency working in the Oregon and SW Washington market since 2002. We are a Woman Business Enterprise and Emerging Small Business certified company, also accredited by the Better Business Bureau.
Abbott & Associates has recently been recognized as a Finalist for the Excellence in Family Business awards by the Austin Family Business program at Oregon State University.
Why you should work with us:
Work with a small, locally-owned staffing agency that takes a personally tailored approach to every match they make. Helping people is our greatest passion and what drives us everyday. With Abbott & Associates you won't just feel like a number, you will feel like family!
Visit our website to learn more about us or simply do a quick google search to read the wonderful things people have said about working with us!